Contact

Articles

Horner Site National Historic Landmark

 

 
 

Read All About It:

The Horner Site, located in the northern Bighorn Basin of Wyoming, was first investigated between 1949 and 1950 by a paleontologist from Princeton University, followed by archaeologists from the University of Pennsylvania, the University of Wisconsin, and the Smithsonian Institution. The bison bonebed site, which contained beautiful and well made chipped stone weapons and tools, became the type site of the Cody Complex. The stone tool assemblage included Eden and Scottsbluff projectile points and various styles of the Cody Knife. The University of Wyoming conducted further excavations in the late 1970s. Radiocarbon dates indicate that systematic bison procurement occurred for at least a thousand years of Paleoindian time around 9000 years B.P.

National Register form available upon request.

 
imageComingSoon

 

Date Added to Register:
Sunday, July 02, 1961
 
Location:
Park County
 
County:
Park County
 
Smithsonian Number: 
48PA29