x

State of Wyoming

COVID-19 Coronavirus Information

Contact

NR By County Test (3)

Southwest of Big Horn

 

Brian Beadles
Historic Preservation Specialist
(307) 777-8594

Try a different County or Location

  • Quarter Circle A Ranch (Bradford Brinton Memorial)

     

     
     

    Read All About It:

    The headquarters of the Quarter Circle A Ranch was established in the early 1890s along the banks of Little Goose Creek by William Moncreiffe, a wealthy scion of a Scottish aristocratic family. William, along with his brother, Malcolm Moncreiffe, engaged in livestock ranching and a number of businesses concerned with the development of the northern region of the new state of Wyoming. They backed sawmill and retail lumber enterprises, purchased cavalry and draft horses for later sale to the British Empire's War Office for use during the Boer War in South Africa, and raised and trained polo horses. The ranch buildings included a spacious, two story frame house, bunkhouse, icehouse, springhouse, barn, stables, sheds, and corrals.

    In 1923 Mr. Bradford Brinton purchased the Quarter Circle A Ranch from William Moncreiffe. Mr. Brinton easily fitted into the ranching society that had developed around the town of Big Horn. He raised thoroughbred horses, participated in State and civic affairs, and was especially interested in fish culture and the preservation of game. Brinton died in 1936. The Bradford Brinton Memorial was established by his sister, Helen Brinton.

     
    imageComingSoon

     

    Date Added to Register:
    Tuesday, August 10, 1976
     
    Location:
    Southwest of Big Horn
     
    County:
    Sheridan County
     
    Smithsonian Number: 
    48SH121  

     

Wyoming State Historic Preservation Office Menu

HomeHome

About UsAbout Us

Events & TrainingEvents & Training

ProgramsPrograms

Online ToolsOnline Tools

HelpHelp