x

State of Wyoming

COVID-19 Coronavirus Information

Contact

NR By County Test (2)

Riverton

 

Brian Beadles
Historic Preservation Specialist
(307) 777-8594

Try a different County or Location

  • Delfelder School (Hall)

     

     
     

    Read All About It:

    Delfelder Hall is located in the Wind River Valley of Wyoming four miles north of the town of Riverton. The hall is a large rectangular one-story stuccoed building. It displays no particular architectural style. It is a plain building that derives its significance from its role in local history. On September 8, 1908, about two years following the founding of Riverton, Mary J. Freeman filed on a 160-acre homestead located four miles north of the town. Early in March, 1909, Mary's residence, located north of the present Delfelder Hall Building, was used as a school that was taught by a teacher named Miss Jordan. The Freeman residence was the first of three schools located on that piece of land. In 1910 the Freeman property was sold to Jacob Delfelder, from whom the hall derives its name.

    On August 7, 1920 the directors of the Fremont County School District let a contract to the firm of Westerlund and Schodin for the construction of a four room school house. The Delfelder Consolidated School opened on January 10, 1921. It was open for a period of eight years, and was officially closed on June 7, 1929 because modern means of transportation allowed students to attend schools in town.

    Although it was built as a school, the Delfelder building also served as a community social center. Delfelder Hall is significant because of its historical role as the site of an early educational institution in the Riverton Valley, but particularly because of its long history as a rural community meeting house. It has been a place where citizens representing a variety of organizations have gathered together for entertainment and for the social, political and economic advancement of the community.

     
    delfeld

     

    Date Added to Register:
    Wednesday, March 29, 1978
     
    Location:
    Riverton
     
    County:
    Fremont County
     
    Smithsonian Number: 
    48FR437

     

  • Riverton C & NW Railroad Depot

     

     
     

    Read All About It:

    By the end of 1868 the construction of the Union Pacific Railroad, part of a transcontinental transportation artery, was completed through southern Wyoming. Thus the territory, and later the state, was provided a stimulus for growth. Central Wyoming had to wait until 1906 for a railroad, and it was the Chicago and North Western that first arrived. On August 15, 1906, two weeks before Chicago and North Western construction crews reached Riverton, Wyoming, 1,600 homesteads in the Wind River Valley were opened up for 7,240 claimants who won the right to draw for them.

    Among the first supplies shipped to Riverton was lumber for construction of a new depot. Completed in 1907, the depot became part of a transportation system that played a vital role in the agricultural and industrial development of the Wind River Valley. Not only did the Chicago and North Western Railroad provide transportation for raw materials produced, and supplies used, in the valley, it created a need for coal that was mined at places such as Hudson, and for wood and ties which were procured near the head of the Wind River. Originally, the depot housed a Railway Express Agency office, a storage room, men's waiting room, clerk's office, women's waiting room, and living quarters containing bathroom, dressing room, bedroom, kitchen and dining room, and living room.

     
    cnwdepot

     

    Date Added to Register:
    Monday, May 22, 1978
     
    Location:
    Riverton
     
    County:
    Fremont County
     
    Smithsonian Number: 
    48FR438

     

Wyoming State Historic Preservation Office Menu

HomeHome

About UsAbout Us

Events & TrainingEvents & Training

ProgramsPrograms

Online ToolsOnline Tools

HelpHelp